Each month, a GFC staff member will share a recipe that is on the healthier side. Enjoy!
Current month's recipe
- One 12-ounce bag of fresh cranberries
- ½ cup honey or maple syrup
- ½ cup water
- Zest of 1 medium orange, preferably organic (about 1 teaspoon)
- Optional add-ins: ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon and/or ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- First, rinse the cranberries well and drain off excess water. Pick through the cranberries and discard any squishy ones.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the cranberries, honey and water. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cranberries have popped and the mixture has thickened to your liking, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the pot from heat and stir in the orange zest. If you’d like to add cinnamon or orange juice, add it now. Taste and, if the mixture is too tart (keeping in mind that cranberry sauce is supposed to be a little tart!), add more orange juice, honey or maple syrup to taste.